[NBLUG/talk] Debian test tree and evolution

troy fryman at sonic.net
Wed Aug 20 14:24:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:23:15PM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
> Can't see to get this to install, here is the error I get.. Anyone know
> how I can get this to work?

Looks like you are running testing.  try grabbing the libgal19 from
stable.

<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=194735>

> goblin:/home/linuxnut# apt-get install evolution
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   evolution: Depends: libcamel0 (= 1.0.5-1) but it is not going to be
> installed
>              Depends: libcamel0 (>= 1.0.5) but it is not going to be
> installed
>              Depends: libgal19 (>= 0.19.2) but it is not installable
> E: Sorry, broken packages
>

> I thought apt-get auto solved dependencies.. This looks like a
> dependency problem to me.

it does, when the sources are available.  This is exactly the stuff you
have to deal with when running testing/unstable.  Sometimes you have to
give them a nudge in the right direction by manually uninstalling
conflicting packages, or installing packages whose dependencies aren't
quite right.  IMHO, it's worth the occasional hassle to play with newer
software.

-troy