[NBLUG/talk] Printer kicking out blank pages

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Thu Aug 21 19:48:01 PDT 2003

I'm just about to lose what little mind I have left.
I don't print much, I never have, but recently I acquired a nice (used) Epson
Stylus Color 1520. It's a lovely wide carriage dual cartridge inkjet.

I'm running Debian 2.4 kernel from a Knoppix 3.2 install, and the printer is
being driven by CUPS.

When I print anything (particularly from either Acrobat Reader, or PS/PDF
Viewer) the printer kicks out several blank sheets before it starts the job,
or in the present case, prints several pages, then kicks out several blanks.

Blank pages are no big deal in and of themselves, but every time it kicks out
a blank page, it switches to pause mode and the out of paper light blinks,
and I have to reach ALL THE WAY OVER and tap the button.

See why I'm so cranky all the time?

Anyway, I find myself needing to print out a 400+ page document to take away
with me, and this contraption is kicking out 5 or 6 blank pages for every 3
it prints.

Anybody have any suggestions? Please?

Thank you!

Bob