[NBLUG/talk] Refresh Rates (was monitor resolution question)

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Aug 25 09:43:01 PDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 03:11:24AM -0700, Justin Thiessen wrote:
} > Most modern monitors are smart enough to report what scan rates then
}
} Yeah, and even if your graphics card's module isn't DDC compliant, you
} can apparently use the "read-edid" program to get this info from your monitor.
}
} http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/

Cool.

} > can handle.  A gui like Xconfigurator or whatever can then use this
} > information to properly setup the xmodelines.  I have some very very
} > picky monitors at work, and this is the only sane way to make them work.
}
} Hm.  I've never been unable to work out a modeline by hand, if necessary.
} What sort of monitors are you running?  (I'm genuinely curious.)

I didn't say I couldn't work things out without the gui, but it sure
makes it a lot easier.  Just hit return a few times, select the
resolution and color depth and I'm done.

I've got an HP D2826 15" monitor which is one of the picky ones, that
does tell you what it can do.  I have a dozen linux boxes out on the
manufacturing floor at Agilent, and people think they can just put
whatever monitor they feel like on them and they should work.  I always
set them up with the D2826, because it's easy, and then any other
monitor they find will work.

SuSE used to ship a spreadsheet called modegen that was handy for
figuring out modelines.  It runs on sc.  I have it stashed here:

http://frankb.us/stuff/sc/

   E Frank Ball   frankb at efball.com