[NBLUG/talk] Refresh Rates (was monitor resolution question)

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Aug 25 10:38:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 02:10:20AM -0700, Justin Thiessen wrote:
}
} <grin>  Once I'd written a few by hand I was perfectly happy using an
} automated tool.  But it was fun seeing what I could squeeze out of all the
} discarded monitors I've used over the years (NEC Multisync II, IBM
} 6091/19, HP 98785A, NEC Multisync 5D, etc...), and I learned a lot more

HP 98785A, We still use these.  1024x768 at 60Hz

} > SuSE used to ship a spreadsheet called modegen that was handy for
} > figuring out modelines.  It runs on sc.  I have it stashed here:
}
} I've seen it mentioned but never used it.  Have you tried the Colas
} modeline generator?  If so, do you think that modegen is significantly
} more useful?  I keep getting tempted to try and write an interactive
} mode-generation and tweaking tool.  I.e. - generate a new video mode, try
} it out, adjust various params (like xvidtune), and once satisfied, write a
} new XF86Config file.

I haven't tried the Colas program.

   E Frank Ball   frankb at efball.com