[NBLUG/talk] Time to RTFM, but which FM? -- Mounting home directories via nfs

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Aug 27 15:42:00 PDT 2003

I am not an nfs guru but if the server is sharing an NFS share on an internal
network with the no_root_squash options then any "root" users from the
net/host/IP range that have been shared to will have root privs on that
share, just as if it were part of their own filesystem.  If you are the only
root user on the network no biggie... but if a machine comes/roams into the
network and its user has root access on the box, boom..he may own it too..
depending on how you have the share configured.  hence... Eric's evil remark.

You can export the share so that everyone gets squashed to a nobody or
nfsnobody on some systems.  It's all in the export...

no_root_squash... evil

I think he had it right the first time.  Don't share it with a no_root_squash.
ssh as a normal user and su to root on the nfs server, do your work and leave.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer