[NBLUG/talk] Clock Problem

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue Dec 2 11:50:03 PST 2003

ShadowEyez said:
> RH 8/2.4.18-14
> Every time I boot to linux the system clock is set to about 8 hours before
> "real time".  I set the clock to "real time" and reboot, and note that the
> hwclock program synchronizes the system clock to the hardware or realtime
> clock, then check the BIOS and it shows the "real time".  If I boot to
> linux and simply restart, the incorrect time will be displayed in the BIOS
> (meaning the system clock linux software uses set the hardware clock
> incorrectly).  I have noticed during bootup that before the majority of
> the services load, there is a message saying "System Clock set to ____"
> and this sets the system clock to the "real time".  As soon as I log in
> though, the system clock is changed, so something in the boot process may
> be to blame.  Any ideas?

Sure. You mention 8 hours. That just happens to be the GMT offset for PST.
If you set your hardware clock to GMT, then I expect your local system
clock will read what the time is in our time zone.

I think there is a tool "tzconfig" that might help you.

With Debian, you are asked during the install if your hardware clock is
set to GMT. You are told, "If you have mutiple OS on the box and will boot
between them, then you should choose 'N'."If you chose "n" then there is
an assumption that the local timezone's time is what you have used to set
your hardware clock.

HTH,
-ME