[NBLUG/talk] Suse Versus Red Hat 9.0 and Jabber

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Dec 3 16:21:03 PST 2003

I don't think it matters much on the distro.  It has to do more with the
jabberd daemon.

I have run a 1.4 jabberd on my Red Hat boxen with light traffic for quite
sometime without a hit, its only XML.  I noted this past week that jabberd2
is out.... better threading and load handling.

As a class extracredit project in my Intro Linux Sys Admin course I had them
install either jabberd 1.4 or 2 and see if they could get it working.  They
are using RH 9 for the course and the damn thing wouldn't compile either one
without a fight.... come to find out RH did something funny with some of the
kerberos header files and libs.  One enterprising student found the RPM of
1.4 and installed that...

I compiled jabberd2 on my fedora box without a hickup.  go figure...

If you are interested in the references on how to compile it under RH 9 I can
send you the links.  I have not installed the new SUSE... maybe on the break.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer