[NBLUG/talk] rpm question

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu Dec 4 21:02:01 PST 2003

I don't do much RedHat, so here is a question from the peanut gallery...

If you  overlay one RPM over another that was built using the specfile
with mods, what happens when an up2date or security update is performed?
Is the update manager smart enough to know that the version installed is a
custom build so that it will not overwrite it with a "newer security
update" that does not have interbase support? If so, does it tell the user
that they will need to manually rebuild a new copy of a php plugin with a
new src rpm that has been patched?

If not, what is the suggested method for staying with custome RPM and
security updates.

TIA,
-ME