[NBLUG/talk] rpm question

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Thu Dec 4 23:08:01 PST 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 21:04, ME wrote:
> If you  overlay one RPM over another that was built using the specfile
> with mods, what happens when an up2date or security update is performed?

It depends on how you have it configured I would imagine.  You probably
wouldn't want it to automatically overwrite your custom packages, thus
exclude them from update.

> Is the update manager smart enough to know that the version installed is a
> custom build so that it will not overwrite it with a "newer security
> update" that does not have interbase support? If so, does it tell the user
> that they will need to manually rebuild a new copy of a php plugin with a
> new src rpm that has been patched?

Ha!  I doubt it.  The updater is not going to tell you that you have
customized a package unless you hack the version number when you create it.
Most updaters look at the arch and version and make a decision.

From what I have seen, It looks like apt for rpm may have limited abilities
for building source rpm packages into rpms.  I know you can have apt download
.src.rpms.

 Source {
        Build-Command "rpmbuild --rebuild";
    };

This does not solve the issue of editing the .spec file to build the new
source code and package though.

> If not, what is the suggested method for staying with custome RPM and
> security updates.

When an update becomes available download the src rpm with your favorite
updater, apt, yum, redcarpet, ftp, http, edit the .spec file, rebuild it and
install it.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer