[NBLUG/talk] Creating an image

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon Dec 8 13:53:07 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 01:36:26PM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> In the Windows environment, I use Ghost to create an image of my system
> disk for rebuilds or to install on another box.  Is there a way to make
> a copy of my custom installation of Fedora in case of a HD failure?

There's a whole "kickstart" thing or other ways to back things up, but
Ghost works fine with Linux.  You'll probably need to experiment with the
options a little to make sure things work right.  I seem to recall that
Ghost defaulted to doing something with ext2/3 that moves blocks around and
breaks lilo.

And as an added bonus, you can Ghost between totally different hardware
setups (same base CPU architecture) and have it actually work smoothly with
Linux.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large