[NBLUG/talk] nblug newbie here, distro+applic. query...

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Tue Dec 9 00:52:01 PST 2003

No distro recommendation as it should be a personal choice.  Whatever you
choose will give you years of enjoyment.. ; )

Corel Linux shipped with 2.2 kernel, was based on Debian Linux which is very
BSD like, as I recall the install wasn't bad but the OS was neutered.  Your
experience is with Solaris which is based on System V.  No biggie, its all a
blur now...

Dual booting is not a problem with either boot loader lilo or grub... or the
NTLDR that will come on your new box from Comp USA.  Install whichever one
you want.  Try one on Monday and switch to the other on Tuesday, and the
other on Wednesday.

Open Office, JDK, JRE are all hefty pieces of software much too large for
modem traffic.  You better pick a distro that comes with at least open
office, and some form of JRE if you want java functionality in OO to run.
(Not required)

Most newer distributions of Linux will run samba3 without a problem. (My
students installed it on their Red Hat 9 boxes without a hitch), I run it on
my Fedora box.

samba3 depends on;
/bin/mktemp
/bin/sh