[NBLUG/talk] Something weird going on with the Debian FTP servers?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 14 20:10:05 PST 2003

I got the strangest message while trying to use Jigdo to download the
latest Debian ISO's:

-----
Aaargh - 84 files could not be downloaded. This should not
happen! Depending on the problem, it may help to retry downloading
the missing files.
Also, you could try changing to another Debian or Non-US server,
in case the one you used is out of sync.

However, if all the files downloaded without errors and you
still get this message, it means that the files changed on the
server, so the image cannot be generated.
As a last resort, you could try to complete the CD image download
by fetching the remaining data with rsync.

Press Return to retry downloading the missing files.
Press Ctrl-C to abort. (If you re-run jigdo-lite later, it will
resume from here, the downloaded data is not lost if you press
-----

As it suggested, I tried again, but got the same error.  I even tried
different mirrors, and still got the same error.

I remember that Debian was hacked recently, but I had heard that the FTP
servers that contain the APT repositories were unaffected.  And I don't
see anything on the Debian home page to indicate that there is a
problem.

Or am I doing something wrong?

--
Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net>