hdparm == neat!

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Tue Jan 14 10:33:05 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:49:55PM -0800, troy wrote:
} On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 08:31:07PM -0800, augie wrote:
} >
} > i had never heard of hdparm before, but i stumbled across this neat
} > little utility tonight. check it out, and check out this article:
}
} Not only neat, indispensable.  I've found that often (always?) Redhat
} and Debian installs default to DMA=off.  In my experience, setting DMA=1
} [ hdparm -d 1 ] is by far the biggest single performance boost.
}
} Stumbling across something cool like this really makes one wonder what
} other cool things are waiting to be learned...

I've been using hdparm for years to control the timeout for spindown of
my laptop drive.  When I plug in the AC adapter I disable the drive from
stopping, then re-enable it when I'm running on batteries.  The the
timeout can be set to various values to best match the work you are
doing.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com