RH wierd one

troy fryman at sonic.net
Thu Jan 23 22:24:15 PST 2003

It's almost certainly a power management issue.  Specifically, when not
busy, the OS should send the CPU a "halt" instruction, basically telling
it chill out and take a break.  That might not be happening.

You might check /boot/grub/grub.conf (or /etc/lilo.conf if using LILO)
and make sure that the "no-hlt" option is not being passed to the
kernel.

I'm not sure how old this computer is.  Do you happen to know if it uses
APM or ACPI for power management?

Also, I assume the computer is mostly idle after completely booting, can
you verify that with the output from the "top" command?  The three Load
Average #'s should all be near 0.00 if the computer is just sitting
there.

unless we get lucky with the no hlt thing, we'll probably see you for
round two :)

-ta