Registration and hosting services

Julian Plamann julian at abbey.ox.cx
Fri Jan 24 07:22:36 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 04:30, ME wrote:
> troy said:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:59:07PM -0800, ME wrote:
> >> The best deal I found for my money as a hobbiest was $105/month for any
> >> 1U
> >> system with 40GB/40GB per month. It is a small company, and they are
> >> notshooting for 5-nines, let alone 3-nines uptime, but they work for
> >> me.(They have other restrictions: no porn, no irc servers, no 3d game
> >> servers (quake, RtCW), etc., but I dont need those on my server.)
> >
> > Speak, man!  Name names!

For dedicated servers, I've been using UnitedColo.com (in San
Francisco). I got lucky and signed up during a promo deal $50/month for
100GB/month transfer. The prices have since moved to $99/month as the
cheapest, but the monthly caps are very generous. They've had rough
weeks with uptime, but have been generally okay given the cheap price
(it's what I was expecting). Overall, they're great for gaming servers,
but not necessarily best for high-profile web hosting.

Another place with similar rates that I've been much more impressed with
is ServePath (also in San Francisco). I toured their facility a few
weeks ago and was notably impressed. They guarantee 99.999% and have
been continually working to improve their network (multi-homed as of a
few weeks ago, etc).

--
Julian Plamann <julian at abbey.ox.cx> \  http://www.ox.cx/
PGP key ID: 0xCC019D52       /  http://ox.cx/~julian