RH wierd one

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Fri Jan 24 10:45:52 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 08:54:28AM -0800, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
}
} My best guess: it's the CPU fan which starts up in "high gear" and goes down
} to "low gear" if it's not needed at full speed, and that the APM (errrgg..
} or ACPI) module is required to determine the "low gear" (either for the fan
} or for the CPU).  There's a tendency for distributions (I haven't tried
} RH8.0 out yet) to only include the APM stuff when you're on an actual
} laptop, even though APM is at least slightly useful on any ATX system.
}
} Try "modprobe apm" and see if it goes away within a few minutes.
}
} Alternate strategy:
} Install the "apmd" package via whatever means RedHat 8.0 uses to make this
} easiest.  Make sure it starts at bootup.  Run "service apmd start" and see
} if the fan stops.  (give it a few minutes)

She has apt-get installed, so "apt-get update ; apt-get install apmd"
should work.  Somebody else said to check "top" which is a really good
idea.  I might be flailing trying to make the network card work or
something like that.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com