kismet anyone?

error error at sonic.net
Fri Jan 24 16:37:20 PST 2003

> > So ironically i am on the wifi that is a default linksys in railroad
> > square right now.
>
> i havn't heard of this one, is this a sonic.net thing, or ... 'other'
> ;)

It's another one.
Sonic's wifi network is a pile of shit.
The mere fact they make you use that crap smart pass radius stuff makes
me hate it.

Then on top of that they make it so you need wep.
That's just stupid.

You don't need the wep key to mess with users of the network (see
airjack) and then on top of it they make you use vpn software.

The vpn software doesn't work on all the major OSs and they give the wep
key away anyway!

What a stupid and badly planned wifi network.

> ps...UPDATE: got ethereal compiled and re-compiled kismet against it,
> pretty straight forward, but no networks around right now for me to
> test it out on...

Awesome.

So there is a problem with realtime monitoring with pcap and with ethereal and kismet in monitor mode.
Basically if you are in monitor mode and you use ethereal all the packets show up as SSL UNICAST packets.
This is clearly wrong, if you reopen *the same* capture it will parse it correctly.

This is a problem with the 802.11 headers and ethereal parsing in realtime.

I guess it has something to do with pcap.

This used to work and then pcap got upgraded so it's broken again.

So those wily tools like dsniff won't work while just scanning anymore, shucks.

Heh.

But you don't want to use Dug Sniff--- err I mean Songs tools anyway...

Gobbles did say they were all remote exploitable.

heh.
--
error <error at sonic.net>