[NBLUG/talk] Neat command line tricks

troy fryman at sonic.net
Tue Jul 8 14:19:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:26:32AM -0700, Kevin Bingham wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Here three neat command line tricks by Damian Conway (uber Perl Guru),
> found in a blog by Chromatic.
>
> Does anybody else have similar neat tricks?

sure:
One that's simple but I use a lot:
function mc () { mkdir $1; cd $1 }

How about:
eval $(lesspipe)
in your startup files.  Makes less able to view all sorts of compressed
files and other oddness.  Never looked into how it works.

And last, though this isn't in the category of neat unix tricks, it is
neat software.  See if your distro has the wcd "Wherever Change
Directory" package.

I have tons of data and files for a bunch of different personal and client
projects.  The only sane way to manage it is to be anal about creating
directories to hold categories of data.  So I end up with lots of dirs
like: /projects/client/project/subprojects/data/foo

wcd builds a tree of user defined paths and allows me to type "wcd foo"
[1] and be transported to the foo dir.  If their are multiple matches,
you get a menu.

nice thread!

-troy