[NBLUG/talk] Sound card..

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Wed Jul 9 10:47:00 PDT 2003

Ok folks..

This is probably something simple, but it's eluding me.

I don't remember precisely what I did because I don't mess with this machine
a lot. (It's a linux box, it does it's main purpose, and does it well, so I
leave it alone aside from updates)

It has an es1371 sound card in it, I load the module, lsmod looks happy:
es1371                 29056   0 (unused)
soundcore               6500   4 [es1371]
ac97_codec             12352   0 [es1371]
gameport                3488   0 [es1371]

However, nothing will playback..  I keep getting error messages about not
being able to access the device or /dev/sound/mixer type stuff..  I may have
made matters worse by trying a few different sound architectures, I'm not
really familiar with the differences and what's supposed to work with what I
have and all..  It's a rather bothersome lack of consistency in sound
drivers, but oh well.  I'm running Redhat 7.3 i386 on this box..

What other information do you folks to help me resolve this?

- Christopher Wagner
chrisw at pacaids.com

Packaging Aids Corporation - Information Systems
P.O. Box 9144
San Rafael, CA 94912-9144
http://www.pacaids.com/
(415) 454-4868 x116