[NBLUG/talk] Samba running slow...

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Jul 13 04:36:01 PDT 2003

Todd Cary said:
> Where is this set in Linux?  I do not see it in the GUI....

For Debian, /etc/modules
You specify what modules should be loaded. Args if any) appear after each
module name to be loaded. To see what ars are possible per module, check
kernel src docs per driver.

When the driver is part of the kernel (not a module) you can use the
"append=" line in lilo.conf and rerun.

For RedHat? not sure.

> <<<
> What is the best way to determine if more than one instance of Samba is
> running?  PS?

It is a start. Look to see if you have a daemonized copy of one of these
(nmbd, smbd) and if you do and it is set to start on boot, check to see
there is only one per session and all are children of each single parent.

whichever (or neither or both), if enabled should not be enabled in inetd
or xinetd.

If only running from inetd/xinetd, make sure there is only one instance
for each (nmbd and smbd.)

HTH,
-ME