[NBLUG/talk] Automatic Redhat Downloads or a Hack?

Micxz (lovedialup.com) an_email at micxz.com
Sat Jul 26 13:48:01 PDT 2003

entemann at thread-softly.com wrote:

> My DSL connection has been sluggish for the past couple of days and while
> investigating it, I discovered that my Redhat 9 linux box was merrily
> downloading what at first glance look like Redhat updates.  I have used
> up2date and also Ximian's redcarpet to update the system manually but it was a
> couple months ago.  Is it possible that I inadvertently set up one of the two
> to automatically download updates, and if so how can I check and  turn it off?
>
> Don

This info might help as well I just found a mini howto install:

login using SSH

                                  su - to root

                                  $ rhn_register

                                  Some options will be displayed
                                  just press enter

                                  Fill in username at register screen
(username at server)
                                  and type in password you desire twice
(minimal 8characters recommended)
                                  and email address (use a valid mail
address)

                                  press next (use tab to skip between
options)

                                  next screen asks you to fill in
details
                                  you can skip this screen press the tab
key untill next is highlighted.

                                  next will tell you which packages to
update, also use tab key untill next is highlighted.

                                  your registration is now complete.

                                  at command prompt you type in
                                  $ up2date --configure

                                  now you see a list with a lot of
options.

                                  here you choose the one with
(pkgSkipList [*kernel*]) behind it
                                  you will be prompted for new values to
add in here paste this:

kernel*;php*;perl*;apache*;mod_perl*;mod_ssl*;post
                                  resql;sendmail

                                  (to paste into SSH copy this line and
right click into the SSH screen)

                                  and press enter

                                  behind pkgSkipList you will now see
pkgSkipList [all packages previously pasted].

                                  Press enter

                                  next time when you type in up2date at
command line prompt it will tell you to install a key first for secure
updates.

                                  $ /usr/bin/gpg --import
/usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY

                                  This will install the key onto your
server.
                                  When running up2date you can choose
from various options listed,
                                  but you can also use the up2date
feature to install specific packages, which are listed thruout this
forum.

                                  If you see
                                  Traceback (innermost last):
                                  File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 18, in
?
                                  from up2date_client import clap
                                  File
"/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/clap.py", line 7, in ?
                                  import popt
                                  ImportError: No module named popt

                                  when using
                                  $ up2date --configure

                                  follow the next to install popt.

                                  $ cd /home/admin
                                  $ mkdir updates
                                  $ cd updates
                                  $ wget
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/upda...-7.x.2.i386.rpm

                                  $ rpm -i
python-popt-0.8.8-7.x.2.i386.rpm

                                  And voila.

                                  next time you can just type in up2date
-u and it will retrieve most relevant packages and install them. When
you
                                  however do not wish to install them
directly edit retrieveOnly NO and set it to retrieveOnly YES or use
up2date -d.
                                  This will only get the packages and
you can install any you want listed in /var/spool/up2date. And
install/upgrade
                                  them by using the command:

                                  $ rpm -Uvh packagename.rpm

                                  Many thanks to gpan who made this