[NBLUG/talk] Freevo/MythTV -

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Sat Jun 7 14:26:00 PDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 02:19:35PM -0700, Mark Street wrote:
> Has anyone setup a Linux based Freevo or MythTV box/network?  I have been
> playing with my DV recorder filling up hard disks editing DV, and Scott and
> his TV capture card.  This stuff has me interested
>
> http://mythtv.org/
> http://pvr.forceconstant.com/
> http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,59088,00.html/wn_ascii

I think it was the latter article that clued me in on MythTV.  This seems
more interesting, as they've worked out how to do playback while recording,
as well as "live pause".

I've been happy myself with mplayer/mencoder for my purposes.  I did need
help getting avidemux to handle my video files -- turns out I'm recording
vbr, so I have to run "Audio Source> Audio time map" for the clips' audio
to be synced up correctly.

My nightly captures of "adult swim" weigh in at between 1.4 and 1.6 GB,
prompting concern that I might hit a filesize limit.  Turns out the 2GB
limit on ext2 is long gone -- I don't know what it is now, but I created a
6GB file no problem.  (I heard the limit is now 32GB, but that is just an
unconfirmed rumor.)

Good luck with it -- let us know how it goes!

 -Scott