[NBLUG/talk] Is nblug an oligarchy?

ME dugan at nblug.org
Sun Jun 8 10:24:00 PDT 2003

Hello Steve,

We have several published documents describing how the NBLUG government is
run. If you have read these documents with understanding, you would note
that your question has been answered; NBLUG is actually more like a
Republic with officers elected with a democratic process by the members of
NBLUG.

If you had read the announcements sent to the announcement list and to the
talk list, you will find that this is (once again) re-iterated and NBLUG
has a democratic process for electing officers. The system for election is
outlined and the process is stated and re-stated. All I can say, after
reviewing your question, is that you have not read the documents at all,
or you would know the answer to your question, and know the question is
misleading *OR* you _have_ read the documents and just do not understand
them.

If you read and understood the details of the announcements, you will even
note how the election process works.

If you wish to criticize something, you really should educate yourself on
the thing you wish to discuss and criticize.

Reading with understanding and reading with comprehension are required in
order to effectively argue or discuss anything of consequence.

Comments to your accusations below.

Steve Zimmerman said:
> Nblug is an oligarchy (government by the few), if the only
> people who may vote on officers are officers.

Your statement is a lie, mis-truth, incorrect. Read the announcements and
published docs and you should realize this. (more)

> If these few continue to vote in fellow Linux power users,
> then nblug will be a technocracy (government by the
> technical elite).

Conclusion based on a false initial statement and premise.
You make the assumption your statement at top is true. It is not. (more)

> Limiting office-holders to Linux power users produces a
> clique-ishness among office-holders that is not conducive
> to gaining on the desktop.

Conclusion does not follow from premise or arguements or evidence. (more)

> Nblug should open its voting to all of its members.

How do you know it is not? Have you actually *read* the documents?
After reading them, do you understand them?

> Linux is going to take over the desktop, with or without
> nblug.  I invite nblug to join the effort by making its voting
> process democratic.

Please educate yourself on how NBLUG is run before making incorrect
statements about its operation.

How can you expect to be a person who documents a summary of discussion
and process when you have misunderstood the documented processes of NBLUG?

Being able to document a meeting and process requires you to understand
what is being discussed and what decisions are made.

It is far better to have *no* documentation than it is to have
*mis*information provided.

-ME