[NBLUG/talk] OT: Probability

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Jun 9 20:03:00 PDT 2003

Steve Zimmerman said:
> What is the probability that 7 cards chosen randomly from
> a deck of 52 cards will yield a five-card flush (i.e., five cards
> of the same suit)?
>
> I'm interested in the mathematics involved more than the
> final answer, so please show the math.  Thanks.

Hello Steve,

Though such topics are amusing, they are not related to Linux. I have even
covered such things in my math courses on probability and game theory. I
know the answer to this question and enjoy such problems, but I don't want
to scare off Linux Mailing list members with something so unrelated. (I
also will not discuss this topic of combination computation off list as I
do not have time.)

To your credit, you have been using the OT system in the Subject and this
have been great. I think this is one of the reasons why we did not start
loosing list subscribers immediately. However, I note the following:

Counting the nearly 80 posts you have made on this Linux list that are
related to Linux since you joined a few weeks ago, I notice about 75% of
your posts have nothing to do with Linux. Such excession of unrelated
material is an abuse of this list and many of its members. Many users and
subscribers were initially tolerant of the discussions you started that
had nothing to do with Linux. Some members attempted to steer the
discussions back on topic to Linux.

If you wish, you can examine my posts since I joined NBLUG and likely find
that over 90% of my posts since I joined NBLUG are related to Linux. I
want to see Linux succeed in the world, but my actions speak to this so
that I do not need to. (As a board member I practice what I state and set
an example for others to follow.)

You have said you want to see Linux do well and see Linux succeed in the
desktop market. However, when people leave a Linux list as a result of
excessive off topic content, the excessive off topic content is acting as
a dis-service to the promotion of Linux.

We are often tolerant of OffTopic content. This is the first time that an
excess of offtopic messages to this list has been a problem.

While the population of our lists were not adversely impacted, I was able
to find patience and tolerance of the non-Linux discussion. However, the
lack of Linux content on a Linux mailing list has lead to changes in our
list membership. This concerns me.

I'd like to encourage you to discuss mostly Linux related topics. Usenet
is available with multiple groups for discussion of math, you could
consider using one of these math-specific lists to discuss math. By doing
this, you could actually target an audience that is very interested in
math and has chosen to join a group that discusses math.

We are here for your thoughts on Linux, use of Linux and discussion of Linux.

Thanks,
-ME