[NBLUG/talk] OT: Probability

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jun 10 01:14:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 08:06:12PM -0700, ME wrote:
> Such excession of unrelated material is an abuse of this list and many
> of its members. Many users and subscribers were initially tolerant of
> the discussions you started that had nothing to do with Linux.
> Some members attempted to steer the discussions back on topic to Linux.

I've been quiet about this; I'm not really a very 'active' NBLUG member,
since I've only been able to make the 2hr drive out there twice, but I
do have to agree with Mike's assessment.

I've been silently dropping the threads (Mutt's threading feature is
helpful for dealing with multi-message discussions), but it has been
kind of annoying to have to keep trimming and pruning out all of these
topics that have nothing to do with the topic of the list... the reason
I subscribed.

Over at LUGOD, we do have the occasional off-topic post; scientific stuff,
humor, etc.  However, it doesn't seem to be nearly as much as I've seen
here lately.

I guess the other nice thing is that we have separate lists.
"vox-tech" is specifically for technical questions, and for people to
try to help solve them.  "vox-outreach" is specifically for discussing and
planning our outreach and public events.

The original list, "vox," is left for "everything else"... including the
occasional off-topic thread.  What it's REALLY for is discussion of
Linux in general, and the club itself.  People are urged to move
TECHNICAL Linux questions, and OUTREACH-related club discussion off to their
respective lists.

Not to butt my nose in, but it may be reasonable to split up NBLUG's lists
similarly.  Honestly, LUGOD and NBLUG's are the two most active sets of
LUG mailing lists I'm subscribed to.  SVLUG and BALUG amazing pale in
comparison, for some reason... which is probably why they do well with
so few public-posting lists.

Anyway...  Now I'm rambling.  Just trying to throw my 2c out, since I've
had a little experience with list issues over at LUGOD.

-bill!
nbs at sonic.net