[NBLUG/talk] apology: was Go fuck yourself, Egan

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Tue Jun 10 04:42:00 PDT 2003

pls reread my msg.  i made no such assumption, you are imagining my assumption.
and i made no accusation nor inferred one.

however you have added information in this post that explains your frustration
level.  fwiw i was also frustrated by the OT postings and the demeanor of the
author, and considered leaving the list as it had drifted beyond my interest
and availaible time to follow.

i responded to a msg that started name calling, and didn't want to see ganging
up which i have observed several times on lists/usenet.  my purpose was an
attempt to mend a situation, but my msg was a clumbsy failure, and clearly
the situation had blown up further before my msg was sent.  however sad it
is that some situations can't be amicably resolved, the fact is that this
is an example of one.

i appreciate that my opinion matters to you or you wouldn't have taken the
time to make a thoughful response.  i reread your first msg and the second
time thru the effort you made to be conciliatory impressed me more than on
my first scan thru.  my emotions were raised by the response of the person
to whom that msg was addressed and by the post following it, and my dashed
off response shows that i shouldn't consider a board position.  i owe you an
apology for not rereading your msg before reacting.  serving in your position
should not be a no-win, and i apologize for making the situation harder on
you.

you ask how could it be handled differently.  what bothers me anytime a
directed message is posted publicly is that i'm put in the situation of
overhearing communication not intended for me, and this makes me feel uneasy.
should a situation come up in the future, my suggestion is to address the
list as you would in a meeting, since the list is really the intended
audience, and the policy issue or whatever the content of the message
serves as notice to the entire list community rather than one individual.

i had to think for considerable time to offer a suggestion, so it is not
so obvious that i think you should have handled the present situation
differently.

-ron