[NBLUG/talk] Help: Newbie and proxy server running SBS2000

Mitch Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Wed Jun 11 12:52:00 PDT 2003

Well.. if you can get a shell open: use the command.

ping <ip_address_of_proxy_server>

and type ^C (control-c) when you're done watching the messages.  (I
hope I'm not being condescending, but I don't know what your experience
with networks is.)

If that doesn't work.. Then output of these commands may be useful

/sbin/ifconfig -a
netstat -rn

in verifying that your basic network is set up properly (gateway,
address, netmask, etc.)  Post the results here if you can't interpret
the results.    If you need to set up the network, try using
'linuxconf' or whichever tool RedHat has this release.

If the network is okay, then check DNS as the next likely culprit.
Look in the file /etc/resolv.conf to see if your DNS is set up
properly.  Try using nslookup or dig on the command line.

Let us know what you find.

    -- Mitch