[NBLUG/talk] Help: Newbie and proxy server running SBS2000

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Wed Jun 11 13:23:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 01:17:36PM -0700, troy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 01:05:29PM -0700, Jennifer Tracy wrote:
> > I do see something VERY similar to what you show below.   There were no "RX
> > packets" only "TX Packets".  I also see a second "batch" for something
> > called "lo".
> >
> > I cannot ping my server which on the internal network is 10.0.0.2.
> >

> You're doing great, Jenn :)
>
> Can you please post the output from ifconfig?
> Also please post the output from the 'route' command (again as root)

There's a slight problem with that:  if she's not networked, she'd have to
type all that out by hand.  Ugh!

Jenn, the most important part at this point is the IP address and Mask for
eth0 from ifconfig.  (lo is the loopback interface, it will be 127.0.0.1 --
no need to deal with that...)

You might also want to run "mii-tool" as root, which will tell you your link
speed, link state, and duplex for your ethernet card.

You should also inspect the contents of two files:  /etc/sysconfig/network
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 -- please make sure the values
in there are what you expect for your network.

Also:  are you using dhcp?

 -Scott