[NBLUG/talk] Help: Newbie and proxy server running SBS2000

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Wed Jun 11 16:50:02 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 02:49:59PM -0700, Jennifer Tracy wrote:
> unknown host to the ping
>
> resolv.conf
>
> ;generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> search PineTree
>
> PineTree is the name of my domain.

BTW, the "domain name" in resolv.conf should, theoretically, be the Internet
domain name.  (I'm not sure if the WIN domain makes sense there or not, but
I've never heard of it being used in resolv.conf.)

For instance, here on my workstation:

   _[/home/scott]_(scott at ponzo)_
   $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
   search sonic.net
   nameserver 208.201.224.11
   nameserver 208.201.224.33

The "search" clause is so you don't need to type the entire name of machines
on your network -- for instance, I can type "ping shell", and the DNS
resolver will look up "shell.sonic.net".

 -Scott