[NBLUG/talk] Debian

Steve srj at adnd.com
Wed Jun 25 18:32:01 PDT 2003

Is the kernel up to date in this distro? (still downloading...)
Also can you apt-get the latest kernel? or is it roll your own.. I have no
issues with rolling my own, been compiling linux kernels since 1994 or
so haha.

I know in RedHat you can use up2date to update your kernel,
I've never tried it, but I always found it to be a neat idea.

Also switching to debian, am I going to find it lacking in areas?
RedHat has always seemed to come with the goodies.  I am assuming that
if I need/want something installed its as simple
as apt-get install proggyname and then maybe some configing.

How often does Debian update? Dec 16, 2002, thats 6 months ago =)

I think whats attracting me to Debian the most is the apt-get tool, it
reminds me of the way BSD gets updates.. Except BSD seems to compile stuff
from its manager.. (Havn't used BSD much)

Oh 1 more question, are there any Floppy setup disks for debian?  I have a
laptop with out a CDROM drive that I would love
to put linux on, I was going to use RedHat because its a 2 floppy disk
download and then the rest is done over the net.  Does debian
have something like this?

-Steve

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:10:09PM -0700, Jeremy Turner wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 17:50, Steve wrote:
> > Wow, thats a small ISO image.  Is woody the current release of Debian?
>
> That's the other unique thing about debian.  The current release is
> 3.0r1 (version 3.0, revision 1), name woody after the Toy Story
> character.  It was released on Dec 16, 2002.
>
> Additionally, there are the testing (code name sarge) and unstable (code
> name sid, who was the crazy kid or some say it stands for "still in
> development") branches, which let you use software that may not be ready
> for prime time on a production server.  I find unstable fine for my
> desktop and have only had 1 or 2 problems with it in the last 2-3 years.
>
> Yep, the image is very small.  You can see the packages included in it
> by clicking on the *.packages file in the same directory.  It basically
> only includes enough packages to get you with a working system (a bash
> prompt) and you can dselect or apt-get whatever you need (apache, samba,
> x, gnome, kde, etc).
>
> Additionally, http://www.apt-get.org is a great site for finding apt-get
> sources for unofficial packages in deb format, like software on the
> cutting edge.
>
> Jeremy
>
> --
> Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
> The LinuxWebGuy

----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu