[NBLUG/talk] Debian

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Jun 26 16:18:00 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 02:46:19PM -0700, Steve wrote:
} Is changing from stable to unstable as simple as changing the word stable
} to unstable  in the sources.list file?

Then run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.  That would do it, but
remember that "testing" is inbetween stable and unstable.  You might try
that first.

I've just been updating a few packages to newer versions, not
everything.  My source.list file lists stable, testing, and unstable.
I created a /etc/apt/apt.conf file:
APT::Cache-Limit 10000000;
APT::Default-Release "stable";

This defaults everything to stable, the I can upgrade particular
pacakges to newer versions:
apt-get -t testing fvwm
and it upgrades any needed dependencies too of course.

The APT::Cache-Limit 10000000; was needed when I added multiple releases
to the source.list file.  apt crashed, I typed the error message into
google, somebody said to add this, it worked.

There is also a /etc/apt/preferences file, but I'm still a little fuzzy
on this.  I have:

Package: fvwm
Pin: release a=testing

Package: dillo
Pin: release a=testing

But I still have to use the -t testing option with apt-get to get the
testing version, which I didn't think I'd need with this preferences
setup.  see man apt_preferences.

} Also when debian comes out with a new release, will upgrading the system
} be as simple as doing an apt-get
} late one night and magicly you are now running the newest release of debian?

Yes.  And if you keep the system upto date it may not even have to
update very many packages.

} I also see that RPM is installed.. so I am assuming I can install RPMS
} on this system if I need to.

Don't know, but "alien" run on debian does a good job of converting rpms
to deb packages and vice versa.  alien on redhat seems be useless.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com