[NBLUG/talk] blog packages, anyone?

error error at sonic.net
Sun Mar 2 18:07:00 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 13:14, Daniel Smith wrote:
> I am considering using Moveable Type for my server.
> It looks to be powerful, stable, etc.

I actually agree entirely with that. I have been considering entirely
ditching livejournal for a web log running MT. I really only use
livejournal because it's free and I have a network of friends on it.
It's mostly stable when it isn't under direct DDOS attacks.

>  From a security standpoint, I'm not so wild about the
> fact that it's CGI-based though.  Nothing I can
> put my finger on; I just try to avoid CGI.

Well I agree that's a good reason to avoid it but it's got a good reason
for being a cgi. It does comments and everything you could want.
I am actually considering (assuming I want to do it) setting up a
livejournal clone on a server I run but I doubt there is an interest
because most people have web logs already.

If you don't want the features that the cgi parts of MT offer I suggest
going with blossom. A friend of mine runs it and loves it.
(http://www.phork.cx) I personally like people posting in my journal
(http://www.livejournal.com/~ioerror) and learning about me. Why not?

> Local experts: Any blog package recommendations?  If you
> were going to get something going this month, what
> would you use? (emphasizing security)

So I would go with livejournal (or deadjournal or any livejournal clone)
if you don't want your own server running it (or blogger but I think
it's crap), blossom if you want your own webspace with no cgi stuff (as
far as the interaction on the reader/users part really it's all static I
belive) or MT if you want everything livejournal, blogger or blossom
provide with extra features in cgi mode.

> p.s.  ME and others that answered my IP aliasing query.  I want
> express thanks via a round of beers!  Perhaps after next
> NBLUG meeting

Perhaps we should have a pizza and beer at a local round table :-) A
fitting place, eh?

Anyway, hope that helps.
--
error <error at sonic.net>