[NBLUG/talk] Re: [NBLUG/Announce] Reminder: LNX-BBC tomorrow night!

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Tue Mar 11 10:36:11 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 09:30:43AM -0800, Arsen Yeremin wrote:
> Eric,
> for some reason the emails I receive from you come as a blank email with an
> attachment. Take a look at the headers. I am including a working and a non
> working email received from nblug.

Looks like the main difference is this:

vs. this:

> 	protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="X0cz4bGbQuRbxrVl"
>
> --X0cz4bGbQuRbxrVl

You see, there's several routes to deal with "multipart/signed" with a
"text/plain" part included.

1) (correct) check the signature and display the text/plain attachment.
2) (correct) see that it's multipart/* with a text/plain part and display
   the text/plain attachment inline
3) (correct but less friendly) see that it's multipart/* with a text/plain
   part and display each part as an attachment that can be saved. (better if
   the text/plain can be viewed)
4) (correct, but outdated) display everything inline because the MTA doesn't
   know MIME.
5) (wrong) see the multipart/*, but see that it's not multipart/mixed or
   multipart/alternative and pretend it's not there.

I guess MS Outlook Express opted for option #5 for some reason...

Guess this means I need to stop signing announcements with proper MIME
settings.  (because I'll bet that doing "Content-Type: application/pgp;
format=text; x-action=sign" gives Outlook Express coniption fits, too...)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore for Life