[NBLUG/talk] revolution os showing ... success

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Mar 15 22:14:00 PST 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:06:59PM -0800, ME wrote:
<snip>
> (Hey Bill - Great deal on your Demo. Some people in our LUG think Demos
> might be good here too. Do you have suggestions on things that work well
> at these? What do you bring with you and what tools help you the most?)
<snip>

We bring at least one computer, obviously.  By default, we've got it
running Gnome (though KDE is on there).  It's a Debian box, and also acts
as a Debian mirror (so we can install new software on-the-fly; this is also
useful during Installfests, for network Debian installs or apt-get-updating).

We typically show off The Gimp, Open Office, XMMS, and whatever other
interesting things people might want to see.  (e.g., "Can it do X?"... "Sure!")

We don't have a HUGE amount of space (dig around the bottom of the
page: http://www.lugod.org/photos/ to find some photos of demos at the Co-Op),
so the LCD screen we bought has come in quite useful so far as saving space.

We put flyers up explaining who and what LUGOD is.  It mentions our more
important services (mailing lists, lending library, installfests, and
of course the meetings).  It's pretty much the same hand-out we have out
at each of our normal meetings.

I also like to have out flyers advertising our upcoming events.
(Today I had some of our 'generic' Installfest flyers out, since we have
an Installfest tomorrow... as well as flyers for Monday's KDE talk.)
[ http://www.lugod.org/documents/flyers/ ]

Since I wanted to plug Tux Paint, [ http://newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/ ]
and there are often kids tagging along while their parents shopped,
I brought copies of the Tux Paint CDs Pete Salzman burned for/with me this
past week.  (I mainly had the burns made to have some swag to give out at
my Tux Paint demo at the Sacramento Mac users group.)
[ http://www.macnexus.org/ ]

Other than that, we just try to do our best to answer questions
(most often it's "what IS it?", "why?", and the random
"how much are laptops?" and "what aisle are olives on?" ;^) )

--
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                                            Hire me!