[NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux

Edward Mendoza lorca at sonic.net
Mon May 5 19:23:01 PDT 2003

Hello,

I am new to this forum so I apologize ahead of time for asking a question to
which the answer is obvious.

I am, at present, a windows user. I have been seriously considering for some
time now switching to Linux and debunking microcrap's "operating system." I
know that one advantage is that Linux offers its users open source code but
I need to understand a little better exactly how this benefits the user.
Also, is there another advantage to Linux besides it being the alternative
to windows and the open source code? Should I get Lindows instead? What text
editing applications do you use on Linux since it cannot be MsWord? What
about the use of other applications such as Macromedia Freehand, Flash,
Fireworks, Adobe Illustrator, and Excel? What browser do you use in Linux
for surfing the net?

Thank you,

Edward