[NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux

augie schwer at sonic.net
Tue May 6 09:37:01 PDT 2003

Edward Mendoza wrote:
> know that one advantage is that Linux offers its users open source
> code but I need to understand a little better exactly how this
> benefits the user.

i'll agree with what mike and frank have already said, and add this:
if you are an aspiring programmer like me, then being able to view the
source is an invaluable resource to your learning.

> Also, is there another advantage to Linux besides it being the
> alternative to windows and the open source code?

*community*: if you've been watching this list for any brief amount of
time, you will have noticed the wide variety of discussions, and the
multitude of people who get helped every day.

also if you come to any NBLUG event, you'll see geeks geeking out with
other geeks, newbies asking questions and getting a face-to-face
response from one or many people.

*choice*: for their own business reasons (which may or may not be good),
MS tries to contain their users inside little boxes, only offering them
what tools they see fit for the user to use, regardless of whether those
tools are the best for the job.

when you take a peek outside of that box you'll be amazed at how many
choices you really do have, i know i was when i made the switch. i would
compare the switch from MS to Linux to someone switching from AOL to a
more general ISP like Sonic.net; someone leaving AOL is leaving their
comfort zone, and they find it a bit scary at first, but then they
discover all these wonderful options, like newsgroups, and spam free
email, web hosting, and _real_ tech. support.

*programmers heaven*: like i said before having the source available is
the best learning resource. in addition to that Linux has an amazing
(and varied) set of tools for programming. there are compilers,
debuggers, editors, you name it. and you have the option of using many,
many different programming languages each with their own advantages, the
right tool for the job if you will.

plus if you are into any kind of client server development (web
development, networking, etc.) with Linux you've got your very own
personal server to mess around with. i know i find it extremely
advantageous to be able to run a web server (apache), a database system,
(mysql,postgresql), and scripting tools (php,pearl), all on my little
laptop so i can do development and testing for work or fun, just about
anywhere. :-D

[snip]text editor, excel, power-point...[/snip]

this message is already way longer than i meant it to be, so i'll just
say i agree with what everyone else already said on this topic.

please try to make it to the next meeting, you won't regret it. :)

augie.

- --
irc.nblug.org #nblug
registered linux user #229905