[NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue May 6 15:32:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 07:23:49PM -0700, Edward Mendoza wrote:
> I am, at present, a windows user. I have been seriously considering for some
> time now switching to Linux and debunking microcrap's "operating system." I
> know that one advantage is that Linux offers its users open source code but
> I need to understand a little better exactly how this benefits the user.

This benefits the user because it means so many other people are able
(and willing) to help create new software and fix bugs in, and add features
to, existing software.

I used to get the same question asked of me about the Sharp Zaurus.
"Why would I care that it runs Linux?"

My answer was:  "Well, _you_ wouldn't care... not directly.
To you, it's just a very powerful PDA.  You WILL, however, benefit from
the huge collection of Open Source software that can be so easily ported
to it, and from the masses of people familiar with programming Linux that
will make more Open Source (and commercial) applications for it."

This was pretty well proven.  The Zaurus has only been officially out for
about 15 months, and already somewhere between 1000 and 1200 applications
have been created for it! :^)

Open Source is kind of like a snowball running down a hill, I guess. ;)

-bill!