[NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux

troy fryman at sonic.net
Tue May 6 17:53:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 03:20:42PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> >The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) provides an Adobe PhotoShop-like
> >graphics dev space. I like it more than PhotoShop. I dont use Adobe
> >Illustrator or Fireworks, and dont do much PDF creation, so others may
> >have ideas here.
>
> I am by no means an expert on Photoshop or the GIMP, but the only thing I've
>
> found to be in Photoshop but not the GIMP is the "magnetic lasso"
> (essentially a free-hand selection tool with edge detection; useful for
> doing cut-and-paste with photographs).  Otherwise, it seems that the GIMP is
> at least as powerful as Photoshop.

I'm chiming in late here, but Photoshop has the Gimp beat all over the
place.  The gimp UI gives me carpal tunnel.  And after working with
Photoshop's text tools, the Gimp looks like MS paint.  I mean, it's a
great tool, and the price is right but it's not even on the same planet
as Photoshop.

Of course... Gimp $0.00, Photoshop $800

-t