[NBLUG/talk] I'm Going To Switch To Linux

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed May 7 21:35:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 08:19:06PM -0700, Edward Mendoza wrote:

> I'm about to buy a new computer and I have decided to start using the Linux
> OS for the first time ever. Thank you all for answering my stupid questions.
> I have never used Linux before so this is somewhat exciting. I just hope I
> don't find myself entangled in some spider's web that I can't get out of.

Don't worry... we all have various kinds of spider-web-snipping instruments ;)

> I would like some advice on which version of Linux I should use since I am a
> first time user. I have already gotten some feedback from you and it looks
> like the there is a slight nudge for me to take the plunge with Lindows but
> I have also been told that it doesn't really matter.

I haven't played with Lindows much, but it does look cool.
Other good recommendations for a first-timer are RedHat & Mandrake, these
days.  It's been a while since I've used either of those myself, though. :^/

> Second, I would like some advice on whether or not Dell desktops are
> adequate or ideal machines for a Linux OS and which of the following two
> Dells I should get: the Dimension 8300 or the Dimension XPS.
<snip>

So far as CPU & RAM are concerned, both machines you spec'd are at least
5-10 times faster than my fastest Linux box. ;^)  Most of the other bits
should work fine.

As for the video card, I'm pretty positive both NVIDIA GeForces and
ATI Radeons are well-supported under Linux, but I'm not an expert.
My best video card is an old Voodoo3 2000. :^/

Good luck!  Welcome to the world of Linux!

-bill!
pr at lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/
Linux Users' Group of Davis