[NBLUG/talk] Linux and new Dells (video and NIC workarounds)

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu May 8 15:53:00 PDT 2003

> NIC:
> The integrated NIC is a Broadcom4400. With this information it should be
> pretty quick to get it recognized. I'm still having a problem getting it
> work.
>
> Download driver sources from either:
>
> http://www.asus.com.cn/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=15&l3_id=15&m_id=1&f_name=4401_653.zip~zaqwedc
>
> or
>
> http://ftp.leo.org/download/pub/comp/general/devices/asus/lan/broadcom/4401/
>
> Unpack them, and follow the tree down to the src directory. Give the make
> command (I had to do /usr/bin/make on my Debian install) and viola.
> Copy bcm4400.o into /lib/modules/2.4.xxx/kernel/drivers/net.
> Give the command insmod bcm4400.
> Thanks to Lars Marius Garshol, larsga at garshol.priv.no
> for this information.
>
> At this point, I've run modconf, and upgrade-modules.
> I edited /etc/networks/interfaces and added
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> just below the iface lo entry.
>
> When I run ifconfig -a the card is there, but the return is:
>
> /etc/network/interfaces:1: misplaced option
> ifup: couldn't read interfaces file /etc/network/interfaces
>
> I've tried using the mapping and auto methods in interfaces, but no luck
> there either.
> Any suggestions?

Yes, the error suggest you look at the file "/etc/network/interface" and
see what is listed on line "1". You may have a line that needs a "#" added
back that could have been deleted before
Like, maybe something liek this exists on line 1:
 /etc/network/interfaces --- config file for ifup
and should be changed to:
# /etc/network/interfaces --- config file for ifup

Also, maybe use this for eth0 instead:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

If that does not work, let us know and we can try manually configuring the
interface to see where it fails.

-ME