[NBLUG/talk] Microsoft agreed to buy rights to Unix technology

Kyle Rankin greenfly at greenfly.net
Sun May 18 23:25:01 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 10:00:55PM -0700, Edward Mendoza wrote:
> Microsoft agreed to buy rights to Unix technology from SCO, a boost to SCO's
> efforts to get royalties for a predecessor to Linux.
>
> http://online.wsj.com/public/us
>
> Nightmare becomes reality,

Read carefully, if you check the article at yahoo:

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030519/0114000182_1.html

you'll see that MS just agreed to license SCO's Unix patents they are
claiming.

   "But Microsoft's move suggests that the software company's lawyers view
   SCO's patents as important, and could encourage other companies to
   strike similar pacts."

MS doesn't own SCO, or SCO's Unix patents, no more than my company owns
Microsoft because we bought some MS Office licenses.

--
Kyle Rankin (greenfly)
http://greenfly.org