[NBLUG/talk] Prompt configuration

Steve Zimmerman stevetux at sonic.net
Mon May 19 16:09:00 PDT 2003

Have you ever had this problem?

  ]# cd
~]# pwd
~]# /root

  ]$ cd
~]$ pwd
~]$ /home/steve

The prompt uses the tilde to represent the  /root  directory when I'm
superuser; the prompt uses the tilde to represent  /home/steve   when I'm
regular user.  This annoyed me until I found a fix, which is as follows
(in Red Hat 7.2).

The default prompt configuration is in  /etc/bashrc.  I commented out
the following line:

 	[ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ]  && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "

I replaced it with:

ROOT_UID=0
[ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && if [ "$UID" -eq "$ROOT_UID" ]
			          then
				PS1="[\u at h \$(pwd)]\\$ "
			          else
		      	          fi

Now my prompt says  /root  when I'm in that directory as superuser,
and my prompt says  ~  when I'm in  /home/steve.

Success--she is sweet, non?