[NBLUG/talk] Problems with X and VNC

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Mon May 19 21:10:03 PDT 2003

WOW, this is getting rather painful...  I hate to ask... but did you turn on
the execute bit on the scripts.  eeeewwwww

If startx command works.... Fire up a text editor and take a tour of the
startx script in /usr/X11R6/bin/.  See if there is something you are
missing....

Seems to me the .Xclients file in your home dir should do the trick..of course
we are only guessing the system has all the necessary parts and pieces..  Try
this one from either startx or vncserver;

vi ~/.Xclients

!#/bin/sh

xterm &
gnome-session

save the file and make it executable, chmod 750 .Xclients

fire up X and see if it works, then fire up vncserver and give it a go.

If you break it, just delete the .Xclients file or move it.

On Monday 19 May 2003 19:56, Andrew wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2003 19:38:30 -0700 (PDT)
>
> mrp <mrp at sonic.net> wrote:
> > Hmm.. well.. I think I may have spotted something...
> > Are you invoking Xvnc directly?  generally the best way to
> > start up an Xvnc server is to use the script called vncserver.
>
> After I sent that message, I thought it might cause some minor
> confusion. Sorry.
>
> Yes, I am using vncserver to start Xvnc.
>
> It seems as if nothing I do to xstartup has any effect. That's
> why I thought to grep for it in the config and the startup
> script. Neither of those files mentions xstartup, so what
> controls how (or if) xstartup is called?
>
> A.

Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Cert# 807302251406074