[NBLUG/talk] Problems with X and VNC

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Tue May 20 19:28:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003 07:46:47 -0700
Mark Street <jet at sonic.net> wrote:

> I am having a problem with Xsession and .xsession.  I think
> these configuration files are used with a DM (display manager)
> in RL5 (may be different in Deb).  Seems you should be using
> xinitrc and .xinitrc to call vnc.

xinitrc simply invokes /etc/X11/Xsession, which, in turn, invokes
the files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/. I've read them all, yet I seem
no closer to enlightenment (the mental/spiritual state, not the
window manager). I have neither .xinitrc nor .xsession, BTW.

> Anyway..... keep chuggin on it.

I want to, but I'm fresh out of ideas. On the plus side, though,
I've got a few more days to try to work it out. Looks like I
won't be heading out of town until at least the weekend.

> > xrdb: No route to host
> > xrdb: Can't open display 'lhasa:1'
> > xsetroot:  unable to open display 'lhasa:1'
> > twm:  unable to open display "lhasa:1"
> > xterm Xt error: Can't open display: lhasa:1
>
> > So what's causing the xrdb problem?
>
> xhost + lhasa shold give you what you need so lhasa can connect
> to the X-server.

I tried "xhost +" to turn off access control entirely. No dice. I
still get the exact same errors.

A.