[NBLUG/talk] Request for help--how to program shuffling

Steve Zimmerman stevetux at sonic.net
Tue May 20 20:59:01 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 07:35 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2003, Steve Zimmerman wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Therefore, *a truly random shuffle would prevent the
> > programmer from ordering the cards in any way whatsoever,
> > either randomly or non-randomly!*

I amend the above statement as follows:

	"A true shuffle is not random."

Proof of the statement "A true shuffle is not random.":

[Ground rules for the proof ]:

	1.  Notation involved in proof:
	         a.  Face cards
		A=Ace, K=King, Q=Queen,
                   	J=Jack
	         b.  Numbered cards
                             2=2, 3=3, 4=4, etc.
	         b.  Suits
		s=spades, c=clubs, h=hearts,
                  	d=diamonds

	2.  Meta-logic to be used in proof:
	        a.  Definition of "normative poker values":

		i.     pair
                            ii.    pairs
                            iii.   three of a kind
                            iv.   straight
                            v.    flush
                            vi.   full house
                            vii.  four of a kind
                            viii. straight flush

	        b.  Definition of "random hand":
                            A poker hand which contains no
                           "normative poker values"

	        c.  Definition of the perceptual primitive:

                           The"perceptual primitive" is the
                           fact that perception is non-amenable
                           to proof, i.e., no one "proves" that
                           blue is blue.  Blue is blue by
                           concatenation of a certain sense
                           datum (the first "Blue" in the sentence,
                           'Blue is blue.') with a certain word (the
                            second "blue" in the sentence, 'Blue
                            is blue.').  No proof is involved, hence
                            the word, "primitive."  Sense data is
                            involved, hence the word "perceptual."

[Proof proper of the statement,
"A 'true shuffle' is not random." ]:

Hand #1:  As 4d 7s 8s 9h

Hand #1 is a random hand, according to
the definition of randomness.

Hand #2: 4d 4h 9c Jc Ad

Hand #2 is not a random hand, according to
the definition of randomness.

By the perceptual primitive I know that the
distribution of a shuffle will produce both
random and non-random hands.  Hence,
a true shuffle is not random.

I don't want randomness in my shuffle
function.  I want a computer
simulation of a true shuffle.

[End of proof]

I will try to read the recommended Knuth passages,
but I must say, he's not a personal favorite of mine.
My heroes are Ritchie and Torvalds.

: )
Thank you for reading this.
: )
All responses except flames are welcome.
: )

Respectfully submitted,