[NBLUG/talk] Bare metal question

Steve Zimmerman stevetux at sonic.net
Sun May 25 08:50:02 PDT 2003

In skimming the _Intel Architecture Software Developer's
Manual_, vols. 1-3, (available for free download at
http://x86.ddj.com/intel.doc/386manuals.htm), I came
across a passage (the specifics of which I can't recall)
that described the syntax of moving something into
a register.  I recall clearly that, in this one particular
passage, it was talking about moving something into
a register that was _not_ a memory location.

This puzzles me, for if a register can be used as
something that is not a memory location, then what
is a register?

Proposition:  A register is a mediator between
electricity and memory, and a register
serves in the transformation of electricity into memory.

Agree or disagree?

I'm not gonna give up my convictions just because
you disagree with me or purport to be beyond "newbie"
status [(contraventions based on "greater experience"
are simply ad hominem arguments)--there's no valid
"appeal to greater authority" either, because that's
like saying something's true because God says so]
but I do enjoy being contravened, so if you
disagree, jump in.

Steve Zimmerman