[NBLUG/talk] The Wall.... is coming down...

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu May 29 08:03:00 PDT 2003

I'm writing this from a perspective of having been a system administrator
and support coordinator for a state government entity (University)
supporting about 100 employees, and services for thousands of people.

What you suggest is a very large task. I was paid full time to support
various systems and users with questions in person. Trying to resolve
problems in e-mail takes about 4 times longer (or more) than in person. We
are also a volunteer organization with people offering "free time" to
fellow users. In addition, I would doubt that many of us speak german well
enough to discuss technical problems and resolutions with the people who
would be there in person.

Now I am working 20-30 hours per week, taking CS Courses and trying to
help my peers keep NBLUG running while occasionally responding to e-mail.
I know I won't have time to lend support to employees of the city
government of Munich unless I drop something else in my life. My choices
to sell my car, quit my old job, move to a place that was cheaper and
alter my lifestyle were included so that I could return to school. Work is
required to pay for my food, shelter and clothing.

You may want to consider heading a team of people to work on exactly what
you describe. If you can find enough people at NBLUG, you may want to
consider building a team of people who would like to contribute their free
time.

-ME