[NBLUG/talk] linux distro

William L. Thomson Jr. support at obsidian-studios.com
Thu May 29 08:35:01 PDT 2003

I would say start with RedHat.

It's a US distro.
It's a well documented distro
You can find support for free, or pay RedHat.
You can educate your self with RedHat's training programs.
RedHat was the first to be LSB compliant. So things you learn on it will
directly apply to other LSB compliant distro's.
You can get industry recognized and accepted certification.
You can go to a store buy a version of RedHat and have manuals and etc.

There are many more reasons, but those are just a few others did not
mention.

Also once you get your feet wet with RedHat and want to dive into the
hardcore.

Forget Debian, Slackware, etc. Go straight for Gentoo.

However be ready to spend a day or two compiling your OS, and the
surrounding programs and tools.

However Gentoo can be the best of the Linux and BSD worlds with Gentoo's
port like upgrading and package installation.

The main reason I hear of people liking Debian is due to apt.

For that reason I have seen many people adapting RedHat distro's to work
with apt.

Keep in mind rarely is there anything done on one distro that can't be
done on another.

In the end they are all flavors of basically the same thing, Linux
Kernel, GNU software.

Some have features that are nicer than others. What ever tickles your
fancy. ;)

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.