[NBLUG/talk] Please use "OT" in subject for Off-Topic discussion

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu May 29 12:23:01 PDT 2003

This is not something that is enforced. It is something that is useful to
help people manage their incoming mail.

If a subject is directly related to Linux, then it is not off-topic.

How do you know if something you plan to send to the list is on-topic or
off? You have to make a judgment. An example: if you can't find a way to
directly relate a subject to Linux, specifying "OT" in the subject let's
people know about the content. Many will have time to read through OT
comments, but some people sign up for Linux talk lists to just talk about
Linux.

(On some USENET forums, people will even offer obligatory on-topic
comments with their off-topic comments. Here is such an example.)

OB Linux: If you use a command line extensively in Linux, I would like to
encourage you to look at a very useful tool called "screen." It permits
you to have multiple virtual sessions spawned from a starting tty. It is
very useful when in a remote session, as you can "reconnect" to a previous
screen-session to continue where you left off.

I am not enforcing penalties for not following this practice. This is just
a request. Self-regulation can be a good thing.

-ME